Are eating mushrooms a good idea?
There are many mushroom varieties that are good for food! Although there are some that are poisonous and can cause serious health problems if ingested, the safe and edible type can offer great taste and additional nutritional value to meals.
Are mushrooms a fruit or a vegetable?
Most people think that mushrooms are a vegetable, but technically they’re not. They’re definitely not meat and no one would consider them in the dairy category. And while some types grow on trees, they aren’t considered a fruit either. Mushrooms are fungi, which is actually a group of its own!
Do mushrooms have calories?
It is estimated that there are 140,000 different types of mushroom species in the world. Although each mushroom species differs in terms of their nutritional value, all mushrooms are very low in calories, carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Mushrooms do contain a high level vitamins and minerals though!
Are there health benefits to eating mushrooms?
Not only are mushrooms a good addition to any meal to spice up the flavor, but many mushroom types have antimicrobial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and immune-modulating medicinal properties. In order for mushrooms to survive in their natural environment, they contain compounds which are antibacterial and antiviral. Those compounds can be isolated from mushrooms and offer our bodies a similar benefit. For example, penicillin, streptomycin, a tetracycline all contain substances that are derived from mushroom extracts.
7 reasons why mushrooms are awesome.
- Eating mushrooms can protect your heart and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Mushrooms that contain beta-glucan, such as maitake mushrooms, help to stimulate the immune system and balance hormones naturally.
- Some types of mushrooms help to reduce joint pain because of their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Certain types of mushrooms, for example shiitake mushrooms, contains compounds that are being used as a natural anti-cancer treatment in some countries.
- Mushrooms can improve energy levels and support brain function because they are a great source of B vitamins.
- Some types of mushrooms contain adaptogens, which lower cortisol levels and help your body deal with stress better.
- Mushrooms can help you lose weight because they are a low calorie and nutrient dense food. In fact, some studies have shown that people who eat mushrooms once or twice per week have a lower body weight and smaller waist circumference compared to people who don’t eat mushrooms.
How to clean and store mushrooms properly.
Regardless of the type of mushroom you want to eat, it is always worth spending a little extra money to buy good quality organic mushrooms. Non organic mushrooms can contain high levels of heavy metals and pesticides. Always make sure to wash mushrooms properly before eating them, however you should wash them right before you’re ready to eat them. Keep them dry in the refrigerator until then. Mushrooms absorb water, so if you wash them and then keep store them in the fridge they may become water logged, which will decrease their shelf life.
The next time your in the fruits and veggies section of the grocery store, be sure grab some mushrooms and try them for yourself!
If you have any questions or you’re interested in one of our natural health improvement programs, call or text us at (386) 307-8207.