Let’s take a closer look at what’s really coming out of the faucet.
(Note: this is by no means a complete list of all the toxins that might be in drinking water.)
- The water filtration industry adds chlorine to our water supply to kill bacteria in the water, however it is very toxic and causes many health problems.
- Too much chlorine added to the water causes it to smell and taste terrible, so chlorine derivatives known as chloramines are added to our water because they are odorless and tasteless. Chloramines are actually more toxic than chlorine.
- Most home filtration units do not remove chloramines from the water.
- Adding fluoride to drinking water began back in the 1940’s as a failed attempt to help reduce tooth decay. Although it sounds like a noble cause, fluoride is actually a neurotoxin and endocrine disruptor. It can harm the thyroid gland and calcify the pineal gland. It’s so toxic that several countries have banned water fluoridation entirely. Even some U.S. cities have caught on and started rejecting the process of fluoridation.
- Studies have shown that consumption of fluoride can cause neurological damage and an increased risk for bone cancer. A study published by Harvard University in 2012 recognized the adverse health effects of water fluoridation, indicating “children in high fluoride areas had significantly lower IQs than those who lived in low fluoride areas.”
- Most home filtration units do not remove fluoride from the water.
- See www.fluoridealert.org for more information.
- Due to the increased use of pharmaceutical drugs, drug residues are being found in drinking water.
- Most filtration units are unable to remove pharmaceuticals from water.
How about well water?
Well water can also be a problem due to industrial spill off, lenient dumping, and water laws of previous decades.
Is bottled water a better option?
Purified bottled water is not a perfect option, but it’s a better option than drinking unfiltered tap water. The main problem with bottled water is that it is bottled in plastic. Plastic contains female estrogen-mimicking substances, which are known carcinogens. These substances can cause hormonal imbalances in both males and females. Choose a brand of water that is bottled in glass instead of plastic. One of the best options is Mountain Valley Spring Water. If glass bottled water is not an option, choose Volvic or Evian water. Although they are bottled in plastic, the quality of the water is superior to other bottled water brands.
Does boiling water make it safer to drink?
Boiling water kills harmful organisms, but does nothing to remove toxic chemicals, compounds, salts, and metals. In fact, it actually increases the concentration of the toxins in the water!
How much H2O should you drink?
Not everyone needs 8 glasses per day. The worse your diet, the more water you should drink. The better your diet is, the less you need.
Don’t drink unfiltered tap water, purchase water bottled in glass instead of plastic, and always have proper nutritional supplements on hand to help your body handle any tap water you accidentally consume.